Dr. Subhash Chandra, Chairman, Essel Group & ZEE honored with the CIF Chanchlani Global Indian Award
Essel Group and ZEE Chairman Dr. Subhash Chandra (DSC) received the prestigious Global Indian Award instituted by Canada India Foundation (CIF) in Toronto, Canada on Friday, April 22. The award was presented to DSC for his leadership and outstanding contributions to the media and entertainment industry. The 2016 CIF Chanchlani Global Indian Award, which carries a trophy and cash award of $50,000, was presented to DSC by Canadian Minister for Innovation, Science and Economic Development, Navdeep Bains.
On receiving the award, DSC said, "I am extremely honoured to receive this very special Global Indian Award from the Canada India Foundation (CIF). The award is result of the perseverance and hard work of our ZEE family around the world. I am extremely blessed to have such a dedicated team."
"It also gives me immense pleasure to donate the CIF Global Award money to the growth of Ekal Vidyalaya in Canada," DSC further added.
The dignitaries who were present on the occasion included High Commissioner of India in Canada, Vishnu Prakash, Ministers & Members of Parliament from the Federal and Ontario governments and top executives of Canadian companies.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, Co-Chair of the Canada-India Parliamentary Friendship Group Patrick Brown and President & CEO of Canada India Business Council Gary Comerford congratulated DSC for his contributions to the field of media and entertainment industry.
CIF is a public policy organization formed in Canada in 2007 to strengthen Canada India relations and to celebrate the global Indian community. The CIF Chanchlani Global Indian Award was instituted to:
- Recognize the transformation of India into a global economy and ascendancy in world stage
- Celebrate the contribution of individuals to this transformation
- Raise the Global Profile of people of Indian origin
The past recipients of the CIF Chanchlani Global Indian Award are:
- Sam Pitroda (2008), architect of India's telecom revolution
- Tulsi Tanti (2009), Founder and Chairman of SuzlonÂ
- Ratan Tata (2010), former Chairman of the Tata Group
- Deepak Chopra (2012), renowned US-based author and speaker, and
- N.R. Narayana Murthy (2014), Founder and former Chairman of Infosys