Press Releases2015

Feb 26, 2015
Mumbai FC beat the Royals to make it two wins in a row

One nil down, two one up. A phrase that is used very often in the world of football. This phrase was applicable for Mumbai FC in the match against Royal Wahingdoh as they came from a goal down to win 2-1 thanks to second half goals from Justin Stephen and Mohammed Rafi in a Hero I-League encounter at the Cooperage Football Stadium.

This was the second successive win for Mumbai FC, who now have 7 points from six games, but stay in 8th place. Mumbai FC had last week defeated fancied Salgaocar SC, Goa by a convincing 3-0 margin. Wahingdoh, who suffered their second defeat in 7 games continue to occupy the top position with 13 points.

The home side were unlucky to fall in arrears by conceding a soft goal in the 14th minute. Against the run of play Wahingdoh striker Bekay Bawar's shot from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection off a defender and nestled into the left corner with goalkeeper Nidhin Lal A.C. going the wrong way. The score remained 1-0 in favour of the visitors at the end of the half.

However, on resumption the local challengers returned with renewed vigour and were totally a transformed lot. Japanese medio Taisuke Matsuge along with young Jayesh Rane and in company of Sampath Kuttimani and Reisangmi Vashum took control of the midfield and created a series of opening into the rival territory and gradually turned things around.

It was only a matter of time before Mumbai FC drew level and six minutes into the second half, they neutralised the lead through Justine Stephen. Following Allan Dias' long throw-in from the left, the Wahingdoh defenders failed to clear the ball away and an alert Stephen pounced on the opportunity to tap home from close to bring cheer to the over 3000 odd supporters who had once again turned up for the match.

Mumbai FC continued to exert pressure of the rival citadel and their efforts were rewarded with a second goal also from a similar situation in the 73rd minute. Another long throw by Dias from the left landed inside the opponents box and once again the defenders delayed in getting ball away and this time Mohammed Rafi seized the chance to slot home from the close to trigger another round of celebrations among the fans.

In the remaining period the visitors tried their best to get the equalising goal but some stout defending and some timely anticipation by goalkeeper Nindhin Lal ensured that the Mumbai trooped out worthy winners.

"All credit to the boys. They didn't lose the morale despite conceding the advantage by being one goal down and came back strongly to win the match," said a satisfied Jamil.

A charged up Mumbai FC will now travel to Pune to take on Bharat FC on February 27.

« Back