Press Releases2015

Mar 05, 2015
Mumbai FC extend unbeaten run in the I-League to five games

Goalkeeper Nidhinlal A.C. stole the thunder with some outstanding saves which helped Mumbai FC shared honours with Bengaluru FC in a 1-1 draw in an 8thround Hero I-League match, played at the floodlit Cooperage ground on Tuesday. This was the third successive stalemate between the two teams, who had also drawn both the legs last season.

Showing superb agility and excellent reflexes Nidhinlal time and again thwarted attempts from the visitors and restricted them to just one goal. The only time he was beaten was when Euneneson Lyngdoh scored for Bengaluru in the 30thminute. The goal came about when defender John Johnson sent a long ball to Sean Rooney down the middle. Rooney trapped the ball and pushed it across for Lyngdoh who with a first timed swerving shot from the right side of the box comprehensively beat the outstretched hands of beat Nidhinlal who could only watch the ball dip into the far corner.

Earlier in the 12th minute, Mumbai FC created the first goal-scoring opportunity when Brazilian Josimar Da Silva picked up Jayesh Rane's pass before setting up Ashutosh Mehta. But the latter was foiled by Bengaluru goalkeeper Lalthuammawia Ralte who charged out and cleared the ball for an abortive corner.

Nidhinlal made the first of his long series of saves in the 17th minute when he tipped over Rooney's snap shot from close and a little later coolly palmed away Thoi Singh's chip from the right. He continued to grow in confidence and with the defence a bit shaky he once again came to the rescue by denying Indian skipper Sunil Chhetri from adding to Bengaluru's lead.

The Mumbai side came back strongly after the break and did not take much time to restore parity as Josimar from a setpiece headed home the equaliser in the 49th minute. Following a short flag-kick Ashutosh Mehta punted the ball across the rival area and Josimar rose above the defenders to firmly head past goalkeeper Ralte to bring cheer for the home supporters.

Thereafter the visitors pressed hard to score the winner but the Mumbai FC defence and in particular goalkeeper Nidhinlal ensured that there was no more damage to the citadel.

Nidhinlal seemed to have saved his best for last as In the second minute of additional three minutes Nidhinal stretched fully to his right to push away Rooney's header off Keegan Pereira free-kick. That attempt seemed to be a certain goal.

Referee Ajit Dutta's supervision of the match left much to be desired. He made quite a number of contentious decisions, which frustrated the players from both the teams.


Mumbai FC 1 (Josimar Da Silva 49th) Bengaluru FC 1 (Eugeneson Lyngdoh 30th).

« Back